Saturday, May 22, 2010

Her kommer vi DANMARK!!

This Scandinavian adventure of ours coming up is going to take some serious planning. We want it to be spontaneously fun, but I'm afraid that if I don't book things and make an itinerary, we're going to end up spending a lot of money and missing out on a lot of things. My dad just had a nice vacation in Norway this month (for the 17th of May) and collected a bunch of maps and brochures to help us with that leg of our trip, so I'm excited to go through them with Jeff.

The plan right now is to fly into Oslo on August 24th, stay until August 29th, hop on a train to Denmark, spend 3 days in Copenhagen, and then be in Stockholm the 1st through the 6th.

The Design*Sponge city guide for Copenhagen was super useful to start planning out the Danish part of the trip. I wish they had ones for Oslo and Stockholm too! One of the hotels on the guide is the Hotel Fox which sounds AWESOME. I want this room with the tented bed.
So neat!! Doesn't it look cozy? The price seems reasonable too (~$150 a night, which includes a lovely breakfast) so that might be a nice mid-trip luxury after and before the hostels we'll likely be staying in for the Norway and Sweden adventures. The hotel has free wireless which will be nice for my blogging, and they rent bicycles!

Also suggested was Audiowalks, downloadable podcasts with walking tours of the city, the Danish Design Center which is next to Tivoli, the botanical garden and museum, and a Netto-boats tour of the harbor.
This list of free things to do in Copenhagen is also helpful. Will it be weird to carry around a trip folder with tabs and print outs and maps while traveling? I don't care, I'm making one.

1 comment:

ET said...

I am glad to see you are starting your vacation planning, Liv. I totally agree that having a good plan--even if you allow for changes as things come up--will help you save money and get the most out of your trip. Scandinavia can be VERY costly, so knowing where to stay and what to do can avoid costly surprises. Yes, I have a bunch of stuff but, as you well know, you will also find tons of stuff on the Internet. I am sure you will also get lots of tips and suggestions from friends and family. I'll give you some tips when you come home in June.