Saturday, January 31, 2009

I'm post-crazy!

This was one of my Anthro purchases this weekend. I was pretty restrained, just two items and both were on super sale! I got a pair of amazing pants (very Audrey Hepburn, they hit right at the ankle) that were originally $148 reduced to $19.95! Have I mentioned how much I love this store? I've been pining over this calendar for a few months since I first saw it, but I'm too cheap to buy a calendar at full price. Everyone knows they eventually all go on sale. This one was done by the artist Cat Seto, and they're gocco'd cardstock inset into a wood block. Each month is different with different colors, drawings, and fonts. I love it. The pencil is a left-over from a gift I gave Brooke one year- they're imprinted with a phrase she used to say and it always cracks me up when I read it: "Literature is my passion." She said it so seriously too, with a bit of a Napoleon Dynamite breathiness.

I'm a little obsessed with paper products, and it's so hard for me to throw away a beautiful paper, be it tissue paper, a letter pressed invitation or card, used gift wrap or an old calendar. I just can't toss it into the recycling bin when it's so pretty, even if I don't have a use for it. You should see how I have hoarded all of the Anthropologie tissue paper given to me or that has come with my purchases. I even request that they don't tape up the package so the tissue won't rip. I'm pretty organized with my stacks of saved bits but it is adding up and taking up space so I'm making good on one of my New Year's resolutions. I will use it somehow. I will wrap gifts with sheets of pretty tissue paper and will make flowers out of more tissue for the bows. So what to do with all of the paper? I keep all of my cards given to me in shoeboxes, I have a ton that I treasure mailed to me from my mom, Jeff, Matthew and a few other pen pals. I will keep everything that is written, but if there are no words on a pretty card cover or if it's an invitation, it's now getting cut up into 3"x5" cards which will get punched and put in my new (vintage) address file. I found this box at a thrift shop and used it to organize all of our wedding RSVPs. Came in very handy. Now it's being repurposed into an address file. I cut out a square of vintage leopard wallpaper and glued it on to sass it up a bit. I know an excel sheet would probably be an easier address book, but I'm all about the pretty.

Chillin' on her cardboard chaise...

3 comments:

Nikki Menda said...

I'm very envious of your creativity! No wonder you and Jeff are adorable soul mates!

Liv said...

Pssh, that's not creative. All of my "ideas" are stolen! lovelydesign.com does the address files (I just can't afford them) and my embroidery are all patterns from sublimestitching.com. Jan and Jeff are the real creatives, I just play one on T.V. :)

Nikki Menda said...

LOL :) In my book, finding creative things is still creative! P.S. I have to check out your brother's art!